21/12/2014

Winter Solstice

Winter Solstice is my personal New Year's Eve but I've not got anything special planned this year. I'm not at home. I'm not in my own country. I don't even have a candle to light. I am observing the solstice quietly, in passing, a moment of reflect ion on this, the longest night of the year, a moment of peace in the pause as the earth rounds it course and begins it's journey back towards the light. Best wishes in the coming new year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S.
I'm not posting it like I have other years but, if you like, here's a link to a Winter Solstice poem I wrote some time ago.

2 comments:

Roy said...

So far, the Winter Solstice has been keeping a low profile in our culture, and I hope it stays that way. Suits me. It is a nice focal point for reflection on our tiny niche in an enormous universe, if we choose to think of it that way, or just the sky that turns above our heads. But either way, the whole thing is an order of magnitude far above our ability to change it or bend it to our purposes.

asha said...

Yes. I think you're right. Before you mentioned it, I hadn't given much thought to what it would be like if Winter Solstice were popular. Ugh. It would be horrible and cheap just like all the other big, gaudy holidays. Yikes! Yes. Better we have a quiet place to disappear to, where we can pause, suspended in the moment light and dark are one.